Own Your Awesome & Other Ways to Love Yourself

In the start of a new year, there is so much emphasis on changing yourself. We make resolutions to change our weight, love life, career goals, etc. Without taking the time to admire the blessings, beauty, and accomplishments that we already possess. One of my new years resolutions was to "take better care of my health," which is basically my politically correct way of saying I'm unhappy with the weight that I have gained. Therefore, I signed up for a Zumba class twice a week and started the Couch Potato to 5K training plan. Yes, that's a real training program that you can learn about here. While listening to music and jogging/running the song Conceited by Remy Ma came on, which always gives me a confidence booster. Lyrics like

"Look at myself in mirror like what the f***, damn I look good. And can't nobody freak it like I could. Ok, I gotta a little fat, but my shorty told me that he like it like that " 


reminds me that whether I'm a size 2 or a size 20, I'm still awesome and still look good. Take a page from the book of Remy Ma, look at yourself in the mirror and say "Damn I look good" even on the days when you feel like you don't. This positive self-reassurance will help you no matter how you're feeling about yourself.

Every February 14th, Instagram becomes flooded with love quotes, pictures of grocery store flowers, and over-sized teddy bears. Your coworkers' partner's surprises them with flowers delivered to your job. You have to wait for hours to get a table at your favorite restaurants. If you're single, this can make it where you don't feel special or further that desire to find someone who appreciates you enough to do these sweet gestures. Around this time, I'll begin to notice the memes/posts that say

"I can cook, clean, have my own job, own apartment, etc. so why am I still single?" 

Therefore, let me reassure you that your relationship status does not and should not correlate with your self-worth. Even if you feel like you've been single forever or even if you're in a relationship that appears to be great. You're still awesome with or without that person. Pamper yourself even if you do not have a date to do it for.

Furthermore, when the time is right, you will achieve success in your career. Every time I am in a job search, since college, it appears that every one around me is getting a new job, promotion, college/grad school acceptance letters or recognition for their achievements. While I was excited for the accomplishments of my peers, I started comparing my progress to theirs. My mind began flooding with doubt. Did I make the right career choice? Why am I not getting hired? How come I didn't get admitted? Where did I go wrong? It took me a while to understand the concept

"It's not about you, it's about finding the right fit"


The right fit for you will be different for another person. Therefore, stop comparing your journey and stop doubting yourself. You are more than awesome for the right position that will come along if you keep working hard.

Currently, I work as an admissions counselor and the tough part is talking to students, who the committee was not able to grant admissions. These students are talented, involved, and generally good students. Just because they were not admitted to a particular institution, does not mean that they won't go on to have great careers and contribute to society. For all of you that are reading rejection letters to the school that you applied for, it may alter your plans, but it doesn't make you any less awesome.

In life, you will experience times when you are not happy with yourself, your relationships, and your career outcomes. However, during those times, it's most important that you Own Your Awesome, Admire Your Beauty & Strengths, Define Your Self-Worth Without External Factors, Stop Comparing Yourself to Others, and Focus on The Right Fit. 



If you have other tips that help you own your awesome, please feel free to comment below.




Share on Google Plus

About Danae

To learn more about Danae, Aaron, or Brandi, please visit the About tab above.
    Blogger Comment
    Facebook Comment