Resilience: Black Student Union President

Are you the President of a student led organization on your campus? If so, you have gained an awesome opportunity to grow, lead, learn, network, and make a difference for your student body and university. In addition to the obvious benefits of this position, it is good to be mindful of the challenges the position present as well. As the president you will experience sleepless nights, worrying, tough times, doubts and the urge to give up.
In this blog, I will share solutions that I utilized to build resiliency against five of the most memorable adversities I faced during my three year term as President of the Black Student Union.

Challenge 1: Managing the Black Student Union as President
It was my responsibility to ensure the organization operated efficiently and effectively navigated through the many administrations of our institution. As President, I was committed to taking our student led organization to new heights while keeping the original traditions and customs intact. Our university staff, administration, advisors, students and board members looked to me as the president to be equipped and well acquainted with all things about BSU.

Solution:
    Increased my knowledge about BSU by studying the organizations bylaws, history and effectivity.
    Educated myself on university policies and individuals that held the power to support and/or hinder us from moving forward.
    Made it a priority for myself and the other board members to establish genuine connections with our community, administration, faculty, students and fellow BSUs. 

In addition to making the challenge of navigating and operating the Black Student Union less frightening, this solution also increased the internal and external validity and purpose of the presidency position.

Challenge 2: Being the President of a Black Student Union on a predominately white campus
As President I was held accountable for keeping BSU true to the mission and vision set forth by our founding members, which sometimes received little support and was often challenged by some university students and personnel.  I was often subjected to questions like, “why does the Black Student Union have to be on campus”, “why should I pay activity fees to support the Black Student Union if its only for Blacks”, “why is it called the BLACK Student Union” [and this was normally followed with the suggestion that it perpetuates racism and that we should be required to remove the word black.]

Solution:
  Accepted that not everyone would understand or like our mission.
                    Educated those who questioned, by actively participating in meetings and events where minority student organizations were not represented.
When I joined meetings hosted by fellow organizations and university departments, I was sure to connect with their secretaries and presidents to request that the Black Student Union be placed on their agenda. During those meetings, I explained the history, purpose and need for BSU; I also invited everyone to join our general body meetings and expressed how we were a welcoming and permanent organization. 

Challenge 3: Student vs President 
Being a college student is a full-time job; add on being the president of an organization, you now have a career! Juggling the demands of both positions can be time consuming and exhausting. In the beginning, I struggled to separate my responsibilities and create boundaries between “president” and “student” that are necessary to achieve success as a student. For example, there were times I would visit the BSU office to “study”. However, instead of studying, I would find myself spending hours discussing the countless problems our African American students were facing.

Solution:
  Prioritized school assignments and BSU tasks by utilizing monthly planners and to-do list.
  Found more productive, or “neutral ground” places to study like the library instead of the Minority Student Services office. I used self-reflection to get myself on track. As a result, I gained a clear understanding that above all, I was paying for and pursuing higher education to receive my degree. When necessary, I mentally and physically separated my role as Brandi the college student and Brandi the President of BSU. For example, If I were on my way to class and someone stopped me to ask a question concerning BSU, I would mentally evaluate my time and promise to get back to them by the end of the day with an answer (and I did), because at the moment I was a college student walking to class not engaged as the President of BSU.

Challenge 4: Being a servant leader to everyone despite differences
Every student has the right to participate in and benefit from your organizations actions and resources. Nonetheless, because we are all human beings, the probability of sharing interests with everyone is slim. As the president of a student organization you have to be able to find common ground! During my time as president, I encountered individuals I could not find common ground with outside of BSU. Despite my personal feelings, I had to discover the strength and maturity to genuinely encourage and welcome them.

Solution:
  Recognized that the existence and purpose of the Black Student Union was far more important than my personal troubles with others.
                    Held myself accountable by asking our Vice President (someone who saw me as true friend, not just as the President of BSU), to inform me when I allowed personal troubles to affect my duties, so I could correct my actions immediately.
I also kept the meaning and history of BSU at heart; knowing how hard those before us fought to establish our organization was extremely helpful in building resiliency for this particular challenge. Staying true to the purpose of your organization and reminding yourself of its founding ideals is helpful when you have to stay on track or be impartial in a situation.
  
Challenge 5: Micro managing due to fear and the need to control
I observed the Black Student Union on my campus endure extremely rough times. Nonetheless, I was also rewarded with opportunities to see the organization blossom and exceed expectations. I often credited both types of experiences to my success as President. However, at times, the rough experiences were the unconscious reasons that encouraged my bad habit of micro managing. Micro managing and my excessive need to “make sure BSU was great” smothered the creativity and leadership that existed in other board members. I was afraid that no one cared the way I did cared. Fortunately, I learned how to trust and let go; and it was one of the best things I did as President!

Solution:
  Shared my passions and fear of BSU failing or being led inadequately with board members.
  Followed up with a sincere apology for not trusting or respecting board members as leaders and creators. (From that day on, board members were trusted to perform their duties without being micromanaged by the president).
We were able to amend policies and standards with the aim to make all board members feel valuable and comfortable to create and lead. Board members were encouraged to propose programs and understood how important they and their opinions were to the success of our organization; furthermore, all board positions were equipped to lead general body meetings and represent BSU.

Overall, my experience as President of the Black Student Union was exuberant and breathtaking. Due to the challenges presented, solutions discovered, and resiliency built, I am confident that I can survive and accomplish all things. I am beyond grateful for my journey for many reasons, one being the resiliency I gained during my term which continues to be a great influence on who I am as a professional, parent, friend, citizen, etc.  My greatest advice to all presidents, board members, and organization leaders is to connect with and truly believe in the mission and vision of your organization. At times that belief will be the only thing that aids your ability to conquer challenges and build resilience.

Yours sincerely,
Brandi Cox


Share on Google Plus

About Unknown

To learn more about Danae, Aaron, or Brandi, please visit the About tab above.
    Blogger Comment
    Facebook Comment