3 Reasons Why I Created A Vision Board for 2016

Last year, I read an article in Essence Magazine "How to Make The Most Out of Your Year With A Vision Board" The article quotes a successful woman, who said " Vision boards allow me to put my dreams on paper. . .Once I see them, I get the focus to bring my visions to life." This inspired my annual tradition of making a new vision board for the new year. Here are 4 reasons why you should make a Vision Board:

1. Visual of my goals & actions
My vision boards contains imagery and quotes for what I want in 4 areas of my life
- Love & Relationships
- Career
- Mental & Physical Health
- Fun
With some pictures overlapping in both. You can customize it to whichever areas are important to your life.

I'm guilty of focusing my energies on one aspect of my life, typically my career, while putting my other goals on the back burner. However, my vision board inspires me to put forth energy towards my relationships, health, and personal fulfillment.

2. An Opportunity to Connect with Friends or Family

Typically, when I hang out with my friends and family, we'll talk about what's currently happening or reminisce about what did. During the few occasions when we speak about our futures, rarely does it extend pass the the current year. However, last year, I hosted a vision board party with my brother Jamaal, which allowed us to bond more. We were able to talk further about our goals and why those goals were important to us. Since making our vision boards last year, we both got new jobs! This year, I continued the tradition an hosted a vision board brunch with one of my bridesmaids.

All that's missing is scissors & a glue stick

 3. Motivation for Rainy Days 

Usually, I start off the year super motivated and ready to tackle the world. Then life happens. The motivation dwindles and my goals seem more unattainable. For example, last year, I was laid off from a job that I moved to New York City for 9 months prior. I was disappointed that this happened to me and so much was out of my control.  During that time, I was thankful that I had the vision board to look at as I planned my next moves.

One of the pictures in the career section of my old vision board was a lady in a suit with natural hair giving a presentation. I wind up finding a job that is more aligned with my career aspirations, where I give presentations quite frequently. On the other side of that vision board, I had a picture of Solange Knowles riding her bike with her husband after her wedding. With the new job in Pittsburgh, I need a place to live. I wound up moving in with my boyfriend and about month later he became my fiance'.

This year, my vision board contains pictures to inspire me for my wedding, motivational quotes, travel desires, and career goals. I leave mine in my living room, so I can be reminded of what I'm striving for at all times.
My Vision Board for 2016

I hope these three reason inspire you to make a vision board of your own. When you do, please post a picture in the comment section or tag our page in it on FaceBook.
Share on Google Plus

About Danae

To learn more about Danae, Aaron, or Brandi, please visit the About tab above.
    Blogger Comment
    Facebook Comment