5 Tips for Making College More Affordable


I read a meme the other day, where a guy walks into oncoming traffic and pretends to get hit by a car to pay his college tuition. Don't worry, the only thing he injured was his pride. However, it made me reflect on how REAL life gets when you have the opportunity to go to a great college, but have no clue how you are going to pay for your educational expenses. I remember crying to my dad when I saw the amount I owed the college after my freshman year wondering how were we going to afford this. With a strong support system and the tips below, this is how you can make college more affordable.



1. Complete your FAFSA and Financial Aid Paperwork by your school's deadline. In the last post about financial aid, we discussed different types of aid determined by the FAFSA. If you're a dependent student, this could mean reminding your parents to file their taxes earlier.You don't want to miss out on an opportunity because you did not turn in something on time. There are certain need-based state grants, like PHEAA, that you will not be able to obtain if you miss the deadline even if you are eligible for it.

2. Apply for Scholarships. Even if you didn't get a scholarship entering college, you can still apply for them. Scholarships are a great funding source for your education because it is money that you do not have to pay back, unlike loans. There are ample scholarship opportunities out there and surprisingly, not many people apply for them. I'll be posting and tweeting about scholarships using the #ScholarshipAlerts so continue to check back under the financial aid section of this blog. Additionally, different resources like FastWeb, non-profit organizations, sorority/fraternities, and college admissions blogs, like JLV Counseling, post about scholarship opportunities. If you keep your grades up, then you'll be more competitive in attaining them.

3. Ask for Help. My mom always says " a closed mouth don't get fed." Therefore, don't be ashamed to ask for help and utilize the services available to you. You may have family members that are willing to help, whether it be tuition payments for birthday gifts or referring you to a job to apply. Any help will help. Additionally, Most colleges have resources specifically to help students overcome obstacles, including those caused by financial hardship. For example, Student Support Services and mentoring programs that can provide textbooks; campus food pantries; campus thrift stores, etc. The financial aid office at your school may have special funding available for extenuating circumstances.

4. Live Off Campus with a Roommate. I don't recommend this for freshman students because I believe living in a residence hall is a valuable growth experience. However, for upperclassmen, this may be a viable option to make college more affordable. Off-campus apartments (that typically do not have all of the amenities and convenience of on campus housing) tend to be less expensive. Furthermore, living with roommates help reduce living expenses. My sophomore and junior year I lived in a cheap basement apartment with one roommate. Although it was not as nice as the campus residence halls, I learned important life skills and it reduce my college bill payment.


5. Work part-time during school.
 
Originally, My dad didn't want me to work during school out of fear that I would get distracted. However, working made me more focused and helped me find out what I was passionate about. I had a work study position with an AmeriCorps program Jumpstart. Through the program, I learned about the education achievement gap and found my passion for education. Since it was an AmeriCorp program, I was able to receive an education award at the end of my term to help towards school expenses. On the contrary, not all part-time jobs will be enjoyable, but learning what you don't like is just as important as learning what you do. Therefore, look at an undesirable position as a temporary donor to your college fund until you can find something better.


The process of figuring out how to pay for all of your educational expenses can be stressful, but you can alleviate some of the stress by utilizing some of these tips. If there's anything else that helped you to afford college, feel free to share them in the comment section below.

Share on Google Plus

About Danae

To learn more about Danae, Aaron, or Brandi, please visit the About tab above.
    Blogger Comment
    Facebook Comment