4 Things To Do Before Dorm Room Shopping

Here's a picture from Pinterest of Dorm Room Decor ideas featured on Her Campus. 
When I entered college, I was excited to shop my new residence hall room. However, I didn't know where to start besides reading the move-in checklist that my university provided me. I wound up spending money my first year on things that I didn't need nor use. The money that I spent on items could have went towards other expenses, such as books, supplies, or even social events. As you are preparing to go away for college, here are 4 things to do before you go shopping for your new home.






One will suffice. 


1. Double Check with Your Roommate. You won't need 2 microwaves in the same room. Hence why, it's important to reach out to see what they will be able to bring. This will save you a lot of money and time purchasing things that you don't need.




2. Hand-me-Downs.  "One man's trash, is another man's treasure." Therefore, ask around your family to see who's giving away items that are collecting dust. During my sophomore year, my aunt gave me towels because she had too many. When I moved off-campus, my friend's brother gave us an table.


3. Get Creative. Your decor opportunities are endless with Pinterest and a dollar store,. Search "Dorm Room Decor" and Pin different ideas with your roommate. It'll give you the inspiration to make decorative multipurpose items for a low cost. For example, who needs picture frames when you can use clothes pins and string to make a wall collage.

4. Pack Light. You don't have to purchase everything before you head off to college. Depending on the residence hall that you are assigned to, your room may already have features that you won't need to purchase, like bookshelves. For example, your room many have bookshelves or a refrigerator. Furthermore, you have a chance to assess the space you're living in and see what works best.



All of the tips listed above could help you save some money as your preparing for college. If there's anything else that you've done before you went shopping, feel free to share below. 

Share on Google Plus

About Danae

To learn more about Danae, Aaron, or Brandi, please visit the About tab above.
    Blogger Comment
    Facebook Comment